Wednesday, 16 October 2013

The Bucket List

So I haven't done a post in a while, and for this I can only ask for forgiveness, but this week has been a blur of being ill, trying to sort out my life both here and in the UK (NTU admin, I'm still waiting for your emails!) and honestly I had nothing particularly good to write about other than a bizarre but enjoyable night out on Friday resulting in heckles from passing cars as I walked home from a club that's actually a boat.
However here I am, racking my brain once again for things to blog about, just not really getting anywhere. But then it hit me, I had a little bucket list! Never written anywhere, but contained in my odd little brain, ready for me to forget as soon as something new came along and pushed it out. So the time has come for me to actually jot it down, and where better to do so than on the number 1 thing on said list - my blog?
VISIT A FOREIGN COUNTRY
So technically I went to Germany today, only over the boarder, but nevertheless, I crossed country! But a two hour trip that took ten minutes on the bus wasn't really what I meant. Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Czech Republic, Denmark, Holland, my list of European nations yet to be graced with my presence continues to rack up, and for me, that's what Erasmus is about. Having a laugh on a train trying to speak a bit of broken French and Spanish. And the odd German word, fantastisch!
MAKE MY OWN SPATZLE
Okay, I know I talk about Alsatian noodles like they're going out of fashion, but I learnt how to make them recently, and even for me, it looks fairly easy! I feel as though my favourite comfort food might start adding up if I depend purely on restaurants to cook them for me, so trying to be a domestic goddess might be a good idea.
BE MISTAKEN FOR FRENCH
It's with a heavy heart I say I need to stop posing outside road signs. The constant stream of "sigh, I speak English you know" coming from the pouty mouthed women working in the patisseries is getting too much for me to handle. As are the pouty mouthed student in their sunglasses sipping espresso. The sign posing must stop, Hope. It is time to be pouty and French. At least until the Christmas markets arrive.
USE 20€ AND GET AS FAR AS POSSIBLE
Sounds fairly impossible, but 2€ gets you into Germany, and then the possibilities are endless...
RENT A BIKE
Yes, I know, my previous post about cycling makes me sound like a Monty Python sketch, but I cannot justify spending five months in France sans un vélo. It's time I faced my fears, show the woman who failed my cycling proficiency that she was wrong and this time, not ride into a parked car. Just call me Victoria Pendleton.

VISIT A COUNTRY WHERE I DON'T KNOW ANY WORDS
Sweden's ABBA Museum, I'm coming for you.

GO TO EVERY MUSEUM IN STRAZZYB
Many merci's to my Student Culture Card, I can visit any Alsatian museum for free, and I fully intend to. Already ticked off the list; the Zoological Museum and the Alsatian Museum. Personally, I can't wait for the day we visit the Wallpaper Museum, Stamp Museum or Cheese Museum. Life doesn't get more thrilling, I'm sure you'll agree.
GO TO THE TOP OF THE EIFFEL TOWER...FINALLY.
I've been to Paris twice already and despite playing the perfect tourist, have never made it to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Reasons vary between it being too cold or that I'd walked to the second floor already and at that point was ready to give up. Third time's a charm. Oh, also visit Paris.


Of course I could be really boring and add "get fluent in French" or "stop speaking so much English" but those are givens, and would both make for a fairly boring bucket list. This is also just half of what I actually want to achieve, but I'll save "visit the IKEA flagship" and "find the Starbucks in Baden-Baden" for another list. Entitled "Things I REALLY REALLY Want to Do"

No comments:

Post a Comment