Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Can you hear the students sing, singing the song of...homeless students.

That's right. It happened. Homeless. Me, with my bulging suitcases, naive wanderlust and four Starbucks mugs. I'm homeless in France. After what was a great journey to StrazzyB with my mama, aunt and cousin - a route which took us through Belgium and Luxembourg - we arrived wearily to France. The hunt for an apartment was on, and even now, five days later, still is. I could easily write this entry as a bit of a "Captain's Log Stardate 4003" because it feels like a never ending journey of the following conversation:
"Allo?"
"Ah, bonjour, j'ai vu votre annonce pour un appartement?"
"Oui..."
"C'est possible a louer pour six mois? Je suis anglaise"
*DIAL TONE*

Really. For those of you bright eyed bushy tailed second year étudiants, finding somewhere to live abroad is HARD WORK. Being hung up on every other phone call for three hours really takes it out of you. But luckily there's always a croissant and coffee at every corner. My family waved their goodbyes yesterday morning and trawling the French streets has left me less like Holly Golightly in her barely there apartment with a cat, and more like a budget Zack and Cody in my dingy hostel.

Luckily I'm in such a beautiful friendly city and made some pretty cool chums. It's sunny, friendly, exciting and rich in history even today. I can't imagine my experience would have been quite the same in Leicester. Perrier is literally on tap over here (result) and I've discovered Alsatian noodles - seriously, my new comfort food, especially when served at my new comfort restaurant "La Corde a Linge" - get your mouth around a plate of those bad boys and you say "Homeless? Me? Ah, well, at least this food is spectacular"
Tonight is my first proper night out here in the 'Bourg and I'm to wear colours of the Union Jack, so being our usual, understated, chic selves, we're pinning the jack itself to our tops - like a sassy marathon runner, if you will. Keep tuned for many photos, jokes, problems, vlogs and smiles from myself and mes amis génials. 
A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment