Saturday, 14 September 2013

The Great British Blogger's Block.

It's around this time when I blog, about a week or two in, that I suffer from blogger's block. Everything I think of writing at midnight suddenly becomes a terrible idea at midday, and I mutter to myself quietly backspacing on all my previous words. The reason I've not posted half the things that I've written is down to the fact that I was finding myself being quite negative. All obviously in a jokey way, cynically calling France out on the fact that they don't have half the technology we take for granted at home (Netflix, iPlayer, I am looking at you.) or that rushing is apparently not a thing here. I really am enjoying myself here, other than the occasional homesick wobble, and I'd hate to portray the whole year like a GRUMPY OLD WOMAN.
So I reached a bit of a wall. There was always the option to just put a post out that I hadn't put thought and effort into, that wasn't that funny or actually meant anything, but that just wasn't for me.
Which brings me here. Fairly confused about what to write next. I haven't had many classes, and the university system is so old fashioned that using pigeon mail would possibly be an upgrade.
I appreciate that I am in fact a cynic, a scowler, I grumble. But on the flipside, when it comes to my writing, I'm a perfectionist. 
With this, and my lack of material (unless you'd really love a detailed description of my apartment) I thought I'd change it up a bit, and do some French recommendations! A sort of "When In Rome" type of affair.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ONE THING...
See the cathedral! Not that it's hard to miss. Standing at the foot of the massive doors and looking up, it's pretty overwhelming. And inside is just as beautiful, with an astronomical clock too! Apparently they show videos about the astronomical clock, but I'm not going to make you watch that. It's just inexplicably beautiful to see, and the oldest, tallest building in Strazzy.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO EAT ONE THING...
Don't make it the maggot cheese! I am still, two weeks later, not sick of Alsatian noodles. Also known as spaetzle in Germany, I could not be any more in love with these. It's a combination of pasta, egg, potato and love and comfort. I would fully recommend La Corde รก Linge for these bad boys with mushrooms. Heaven on a plate.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO ONE PLACE...
For a good night out, I wouldn't necessarily say France were experts. (See previous posts) but I don't think Happy Hours is a bad place to start. Oh yeah, plural. From 3-8pm, certain drinks are only around 3 euros and with a kitchen that smells AMAZING, you cannot go wrong. That's five hours of cheap drinks, plus good food and complementary pretzels, what's not to love?
AND ABOVE ALL ELSE...
Get on the Batorama! Yes, I know this sounds geeky and cringey that I went on a boat ride listening to a historical tour of Strasbourg, but this was the greatest thing ever, alright? It was relaxing, interesting and the fact it was really sunny massively helped. I suppose during the harsh Alsatian winters it could be quite different, but for something quiet and relaxing, the Batorama is for you. And a 'rama it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment